Monday, October 23, 2006

BY DEFAULT

These pictures are of stobie poles. They are unique to Adelaide and South Australia. As a child growing up they were good for two things, tying your skipping rope around them and the saying 'You will end up wrapping up around a Stobie pole', as in don't drive fast... drunk. These ones in particular belong to the suburb of Croydon. Wonderful.



We actually ended up here by following a garage sale sign that belonged to a very nice woman named Susan we got talking to who runs this gallery. She also, along with some other artists, painted all the poles on her street and the street leading up to the gallery.




Strangely by default we ended in this suburb. I was thrilled when I realised that it is the same place as here . I could only stick my nose against the glass, look in with awe.



More pictures later of op shop finds and a couple of other unique (to me) Adelaide memories.

1 comment:

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

Wow - quirky old Adelaide hey?!!