Wednesday, September 12, 2007

THE QUILT WHISPERER

This was found last week. Its actually a doona cover that has been mostly handmade, some machine made. The hexagon shapes have been laid on top the red fabric all delicately stitched.

I sit and and make up stories about the person(s) sewing this. I can see three distinct styles and threads. I see the reason why it was abandoned. Maybe the ink stain on the back from the grandchild was the last straw, maybe the final wash showed the threadbaredness of it.
It was hard to part with, twenty years maybe more but she bit the bullet.




A few repairs needed and good as gold.

4 comments:

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

I love it! Good reapir job too.

I make up little stories with my embroidery finds, they are so 1940's, so I always have my sewer with a dry martinni in one hand, needle in the other!

Victoria said...

THAT is an amazing find. I am more than a little bit jelous. Not often are there big patchwork things in aussie opshops, in my experience. Wow. I really am jelous (in a good way).

Donna said...

Love that red and what a fantastic find. Serendipity op-shopping; there's nothing like it. Love the aluminium dripping pot. I love my al tins but like you I don't store in them just display. I'm loosing my mind already; I don't need any help with that!

Anonymous said...

that is beautiful.
I couldn't quite get my head around how it was all put together until I saw the close-up. really really nice!